Special Note: This lovely salad makes a beautiful presentation for family or guests. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and full of vitality.
2 Organic English Cucumbers, outer skin scored or fluted; 1 for salad, & 1 for the wrap
¼ cup Red Onion, julienned sliced, or as few or many as desired
½ cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half or
3 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1 Avocado, diced
8 Basil leaves, chiffonade style
½ Medium zucchini
¼ cup Grapeseed Oil
2 Basil leaves
¼ cup Sundried Tomatoes, dried
2 Green onions, or
2 TB Dried Chives
1 sm Garlic clove
Small piece of Jalapeno, to taste
2 TB Lemon or Lime Juice
½ tsp Salt
Alternate for dressing:
If you want it creamier, use 1 avocado instead of the oil and zucchini. Can be used as a dip or spread on crackers or sandwiches.
Preparation for salad:
- Using a special fluting peeler to peel the cucumbers. If you don’t have the tool, score down the outside with a fork for a fancier cut.
- Dice one cucumber in thin rings then cut in quarters
- Lightly mix all veggies together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, being careful not to mash the avocados
- Blend Dressing ingredients in a high speed blended till creamy
- Fold dressing into salad and mix well
- Using a 1 cup measuring cup, scoop up some salad, turn upside down on a serving dish.
- Thinly slice down an English cucumber to make long strips the width of the cucumber.
- Use the slice like a ribbon and wrap around the salad. Secure with a smooth toothpick.
- Top with a sprig of Basil and halved grape tomato
Points of interest:
- Cucumbers – contain most of the vitamins you need every day, such as a variety of B’s, C and many minerals
- Got grubs in your garden: – Place a few slices in a small pie tin to allow a chemical reaction create a smell to repel the little critters.
- Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
- Tired puffy eyes? Place a slice of cool cucumber over closed eyes for refresher
- Beneficial as a digestive aid as it contains enzyme erepsin to digest proteins
- High in potassium
- Helps normalize blood pressure and rhythm
- Strengthen bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles due to high silica content
- Cools and relieves itching, sunburn and inflammation from insect stings, poison ivy and sunburn
- Avocados – help prevent anemia due to its iron and copper contents
- Improves hair and skin quality and is used in many cosmetics
- Soothes the digestive tract
- Has cholesterol-lowering properties; decreasing LDL & increasing HDL